13 May 2011

Singafood II (What to Eat in Singapore?)

Related posts:
- Singafood I (Filipino Food in Singapore) -
- What to do in Changi Airport? -
- Marina Bay Walk (What you'll see if you walk around the Marina Bay) -
- Singapore Airlines A380... A Travel Experience in Itself -


Singapore is such a foodie's haven that I just wanted to share my Singapore food discoveries (in no particular order; excluding Filipino Foods which I have featured in a separate entry):

Note: I wasn't able to take note of some of the prices because I was only treated by friends when I ate there.

1. Nam Seng - I liked this restaurant/eatery so much that I kept coming back to it a couple of times. It was worth the walk despite the location being quite a distance from the train station. I especially liked their Wanton Noodle (SGD4 for the small order and SGD5 for the large order) which is made of succulent pork with egg noodles with a side serving of home-made wanton in clear soup.


Wanton Noodle

Madam Leong a.k.a Grandma or Poh Poh, the woman behind the success of Nam Seng. She deserves the success... as you can see, she still mans the counter despite her age.

 
Location: 25 China Street #01-01 Far East Square 



Business Hours:


Mon - Fri: 8.00am to 9:00pm (last order 8:15pm)
Sat: 8.00am to 5:00pm (last order 4.15pm)
Closed on Sundays and Public Holidays


2. Crystal Jade La Mian Xiao Long Bao - I just wanted to eat Xiao Long Bao that's why we ate in this restaurant. I personally find Crystal Jade's Xiao Long Bao better than Din Tai Fung's. To my surprise, I also liked their Deep Fried Crispy Chicken (SGD14 for a half chicken) paired with Fried Rice with Diced Chicken & Salted Fish (SGD11.80 good for two).


 
Locations: Ngee Ann City, Jurong Point, Great World City, Suntec City Mall, Holland Avenue, Toa Payoh Lorong and Bugis Junction

Deep Fried Crispy Chicken (SGD14 for a half chicken)... eat it with the seemingly toasted rice crispies showed in the picture!

Xiao Long Bao aka Steamed Pork Dumpling (SGD5 for 5 pieces)

Fried Rice with Diced Chicken & Salted Fish (SGD11.80 good for two)

3. Jumbo Restaurant - I know this place is expensive but I was surprised that it was a treat (my wholehearted thanks to my host). You may want to pair your Chili Crabs with Chinese-style bread rolls ("man tou") to savour the Chili Crab sauce. Reservations are recommended as it is a popular restaurant amongst locals and tourists.  

Black Pepper Crab

Cereal Prawns - you can't go wrong with it!

Because I was already using my hands to eat and we've already devoured the Chili Crab when I remembered to take pictures, this photo was taken from an iPhone instead of a digicam, and the dish doesn't look like a crab anymore.

Green shake whose name and ingredients I can't remember. I do remember that it has vegetables - one for the health conscious!


Locations: East Coast Seafood Centre, Serangoon Gardens Country Club, Riverside Point, The Riverwalk, Singapore Indoor Stadium, NSRCC, Dempsey Hill

4. Soup Restaurant - I totally loved their Samsui Ginger Chicken. However, because I was alone and I've been wanting to eat it again for so long, I ordered one serving all to myself and got a bit fed up... just don't commit the same mistake!


 

Business Hours
Mon - Fri: 11:30am - 2:30pm and 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Sat, Sun and Public Holidays: 11:30am - 10:00pm

Locations: AMK Hub, Causeway Pt, Century Square, Changi Airport T2, City Square Mall, Compass Point, Hougang Mall, Jurong Point, Nex, Seah Street, Suntec City, Toa Payoh Ent Ctr, United Square, VivoCity, Paragon

5. Cedele - This is a cafe that offers a wide variety of both gourmet and healthy stuff - just the way I like it! I wish there was something similar like Cedele in Manila.

 
White Mushroom Bacon Pasta (SGD14.90) - Highly recommended although not on the healthy side!

Beef Aglio Olio Pasta (SGD16.90)

Cloud9 Ice Cream (SGD3.50) - Several gourmet flavors of no transfat and eggless ice cream. I tried the Sea Salt Caramel because I was missing Laduree's Salted Caramel Macaroons.

Spirulina is famous for its health benefits so I wanted to give this drink a try - not bad for a drink that's full of healthy stuff!

Breads!!! Just add SGD1 when you order a soup and you get unlimited bread (only bread on the left picture I think).

6. Wee Nam Kee - Without any bias (because I know the owners of Wee Nam Kee Philippines), its Philippine counterpart beats the main branch on all aspects: taste, quality, service and ambiance. However, if you really want to try the main branch, alight at Novena Station, look for the red and white tent once you're outside the mall that houses the Novena station and then cross the footbridge leading to that. 

  




7. Boon Tong Kee - One of Singapore's leading Hainanese Chicken Rice restaurants. It's a cab ride away from the City Centre though. 


Crispy Cereal Prawns (SGD20) - You can't go wrong!

Poached Chinese Spinach with Assorted Eggs (SGD8) - Must try!

Hainanese Chicken Rice - Forgot the price because I can't find it in the menu (maybe because everyone orders it anyway)

8. Din Tai Fung - Famous restaurant which originated in Taiwan but is already present in several countries. They have a wide selection of good tasting noodles and dimsum. While it is famous for Xiao Long Bao, I personally like Crystal Jade's Xiao Long Bao more (others may think otherwise). 

Fried Rice with Pork Chop (SGD9)

Xiao Long Bao (SGD9 for 10 pcs; SGD6.5 for 6 pcs)

Special Braised Beef Noodle Soup with Beef Brisket (SGD10)

Noodle with Minced Pork in Bean Sauce (SGD7)

On the left: Chilled Grass Jelly Topped with Sweet Black Glutinous Rice (SGD4.3)
On the right: Sago served with Ice and Sweet Coconut Sauce (SGD3.5)

9. Macpherson Barbecue Seafood - This is the place to go if you want to try Stingray. Their Cereal Prawns is also good.

Address: 34 South Bridge Road
Tel: 65333758
Opening hours: Mon - Sat: 11am - 11pm, closed on Sundays


Forgot to take note how much this costs but a Barbecue Stingray (1/2 of 1/3 of the size of this one) with Egg and Rice costs SGD4.9

Good Cereal Prawns whose price I forgot to take note.

10. Makansuntra - This is a Hawker Centre beside the Esplanade. I especially liked their Barbeque Chicken Wings but I don't know the price because my experience was a treat. 




11. No Signboard Seafood Restaurant - This is one of the famous Chili Crabs restaurant in Singapore and its name truly catches attention. 

Locations: VivoCity, East Coast, Esplanade, and Geylang

Black Pepper Crab

Cereal Prawns

12. Eskimo - This is such a milk tea discovery! I didn't know what to order so I just asked the server to recommend and he/she suggested the Green Milk Tea with Green Tea Pudding (if I remembered correctly) which costs SGD2.4. 

Location: Marina Bay Link Mall

 

13. Mr. Teh Tarik Cartel - This stall gets packed and the line gets long especially during lunch break but it is worth the wait. There's so much drink variety but they're famous for Teh Tarik (of course). 

Has several branches but there's one in Far East Square and Raffles Place MRT Station


Ice Milk Tea (SGD1.80)

Ice Milo Dinosaur (SGD2.50)

There are other restaurants / eateries I tried but I think I have to pause for now and just feature them on my next entry. Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment