23 December 2010

Ranking my Contiki European Whirl Optionals

Contiki creates coach trips for 18-35 year-olds to include a mix of sightseeing, free time, culture, socializing, and adventure. Whether you are looking for culture or a bit of adventure, Contiki allows you to personalize your trip through optional activities... for an added cost of course. I have ranked the optional activities I joined during my Contiki European Whirl (April 5, 2010 - April 22, 2010) as follows: 


1. Jungfrau mountain visit (Cost: CHF 130)


We rode a cog railway all the way up to the highest railway station in the world to step out onto the “roof” of Europe on Mt Jungfrau, a UNESCO World Heritage site. It was my first snow experience that's why I had to remove my gloves to feel the snow by my hands. The people who experienced snow back in their country said that the texture of the Swiss Alps was very different than what they had back at home. 


The cog railway

Inside Jungfrau Ice Palace

Swiss Alps


Breathtaking view of the Alps from Jungfrau

I had to feel the ice even if it will make my hands numb


Houses submerged in ice


2. Tandem Paragliding (Cost: EUR 115)


Together with a pilot, I ran as fast as I could from the side of a mountain then soared over the stunning region of Austrian Tyrol. I wasn't scared at all because I was very busy taking shots.


The side of the mountain where I took off


View while on the air

Having my footprint on the air

Evidence that I did it

Successful Landing

3. Berlin Walking Tour (Cost: EUR 9)


I enjoyed learning about German history because our guide, whose picture is posted below, was very knowledgeable. She was very passionate about the topic that she's even taking up Masters in German History. The guide was so good that we were able to appreciate even the places which virtually had nothing but a story. 


I suggest you watch Liebe Mauer, which I was able to watch on my flight back to the Philippines through Singapore Airlines, to have a better idea of how life was when the Berlin Wall was still up. 


Our tourguide who's taking up Masters in German History

4. Munich Beerhalls (Cost: EUR 22)


I'm not a fan of beer but the beer in Munich is just way above everything else. This optional will give you a beerhall experience complete with yodellers, musicians and dancers in traditional costume. Time to say Prost! (German of cheers)


Beerhall Traditional Dancers


Pork knuckles (aka Crispy Pata in the Philippines)

Traditional beerhall interior


Munich Beer Steins


5. Amsterdam Canal Cruise (Cost: EUR 21)


The Amsterdam Canal Cruise was our group's first optional activity so almost everyone took it. It allows you to cruise past historic buildings, go under the bridges, set sight on boathouses, and get a glimpse of Amsterdam's Red Light District while having drinks with your new mates.


This is how DHL delivers the goods in Amsterdam

Boathouse in Amsterdam


Chilling out on top of a boathouse

Amsterdam bridges


6. Amsterdam Live Show (Cost: I forgot)


I think I don't have to explain what a live show in Amsterdam is. I just feel that the way the deed is done is too commercial... no fake feelings whatsoever. Note though that this optional is not disclosed until you're in Amsterdam with the group. 





7. Tour T-shirts (Cost: EUR 18 - EUR 28.50)


The group gets to design its own logo, which will be printed on your choice of crew neck shirt, polo shirt, jacket or sleeveless shirt. I chose to have a jacket. You're group is lucky if someone is an artist!






8. Souvenir Group Photo (Cost: EUR 11.50)

For the sake of having a photo where everyone in my tour was present, I bought the souvenir group photo which was taken in one of Florence’s famous piazzas.



No comments:

Post a Comment