15 January 2011

Top 12 Paris (minus my food adventure)

Related posts:


- What to Eat in Paris -
- Paris Hotel Recommendation - Campanile Paris XV -


Because it has always been my dream to go to Europe, I can't explain how ecstatic I was from the time I got my Schengen Visa till the time I was cleared by the French immigration (because my interrogation experience with the Australian immigration still lingers on me) so that I can finally travel to my first European destination --- Paris. Even until I got off the Cite station, I still can't believe that I was finally in Europe so I wanted to jump as high as I could (good thing I was able to control myself from doing so). After my four-day trip from April 2, 2010 to April 5, 2010, I realized that Paris had a lot more to offer than the Eiffel Tower and that the Eiffel Tower was not overrated. As a result, I'd like to share my favorite Parisian experiences (except for eating as I will be dedicating a separate post for that) during my short but jam-packed stay:


Note: I am not claiming to be an expert in Paris as my stay was relatively short. I acknowledge that Paris could have a lot more to offer than these.


1. Going to Versailles - Going to Versailles was non-negotiable to me. I read so many good things about it that I just can't let the opportunity pass. It didn't fail me. The trip to Versailles on my 2nd day made me feel that my vacation in Europe was already worth every cent. I will be sharing more of my trip to Versailles on a separate post.





 


2. Watching the Eiffel Tower Sparkle - Once the sky darkens, the Eiffel Tower literally glitters every hour. Can't get enough of this experience that I caught it thrice in one day (1 while I was in the elevator going up the tower  so the glittering bulbs were literally beside me; 1 while I was under the tower... this felt magical as I experienced the entire spectacle very near; 1 while I was near Ecole Militaire... can't help but get awed by the charm of this moment)





The view near Ecole Militaire


Morning version of the Eiffel Tower (I took this photo from Trocadero and I'm proud of it)

3. Discovering that Notre Dame has another facade (at the back) which is miles better than the front facade




4. Searching for the famous Moulin Rouge



5. Walking alongside the Seine River while seeing the La Conciergerie, etc.







6. Walking around the Louvre Complex (Outside only! I wasn't able to go inside because the enormous amount of visitors prompted the museum to close earlier than usual... or should I say I prioritized my food adventure during my last day in Paris so I didn't have enough time to get into Louvre)


My only glimpse of the Louvre from a glass outside

7. Having a risky photo with the Arc de Triomphe - If you want a picture of the entire landmark with you in the middle, you have to take the risk of getting a similar shot right in the middle of Avenue des Champs-Élysées. Tip: No need to go up but make sure to get at least to the base by passing through an underpass via Avenue des Champs-Élysées.



 

  

8. Walking along the sidestreets of Paris - Walking around the sidestreets of Paris is already an activity of its own. Just savor the feel of the city and enjoy the shops and cafes all around. Suggested areas: Latin Quarter, Marais, Montmartre, Opera Garnier, Ile-St Louis 



9. Walking along Avenue des Champs-Élysées - catch the latest in fashion, cars, music or simply have your own Parisian cafe experience

 

Louis Vuitton Flagship Store along Avenue des Champs-Élysées

People lining up just to get inside LV's Flagship Store

Video of LV's Window Display

10. Walking around the area of Opera Garnier - This landmark is marvelous! Walking around the sidestreets of the area also offers a great opportunity to expore Paris' hidden secrets. I wasn't able to go inside as I had my luggage along with me when I went here. I will definitely go inside given the chance to come back to Paris.


Photo courtesy of Wikipedia

Photo courtesy of concertclassic.com

11. Gazing at Sainte-Chapelle's stained glass windows - Make sure you go upstairs to the main attraction as the staircase leading to it isn't very noticeable


12. Appreciating the artistry of Paris' Metro stations - Make sure to gaze outside of the train's windows at every station to see the variety of design each one offers.


Photo courtesy of Wikipedia

7 comments:

  1. thank you for sharing your photos and will include it to my must-visit places

    what hotel did you stay? i'm searching for a hotel- 3 days in Paris but it's quite expensive.do you have any recommendation? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi che! thank you for dropping by! i made an entry in response to your query. i hope you find it useful: http://followthecompass.blogspot.com/2011/01/paris-hotel-recommendation-campanile.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post! All the places in Paris look so beautiful! It's really one of my dream destinations. Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the compliment, mylovelylife88! Paris is really worth seeing so i hope you get to visit it soon! Will be posting more Paris-related posts such my food adventure and Versailles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sigh...when will I ever got to Paris? :(

    beautiful shots btw! thnx for for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you thepinaysolobackpacker! i'm sure you'll get to paris sooner than you expected :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! So very helpful to me for planning my trip in October. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete