02 July 2011

What to Eat in Paris

Related posts:
Top 12 Paris (minus my food adventure)
Paris Hotel Recommendation - Campanile Paris XV


I won't claim to be a Paris food expert. I just decided to come up with this entry to document and share some of my Parisian food discoveries and adventures. Here they are in particular order:


1. Laduree Macaroons: 


Please don't leave Paris without trying Laduree. Its Soft Salted Caramel Macaroons is the best macaroons you could ever taste... others just fail in comparison! After all, Laduree won't be the favorite of Barbra Streisand and the daughters of President Obama for nothing.

If you buy "To Go", the line is worth the wait. If you opt to dine inside, you get to experience its poshness. 

This is their store in Champs Elysees:


EUR1.50 (Php95) per piece of a SMALL macaroon... still worth it!

The line inside... don't get too intimated. They're very efficient and its worth the effort!

The entrance along Champs Elysees

Opulent interior

Would you believe this is a toilet hallway?

The full list of stores can be found in: http://www.laduree.fr/en/maisons/adresses

2. Berthillon Ice Cream: 


Berthillon is a French manufacturer and retailer of luxury ice cream and sorbet. This is their primary store in Île Saint-Louis. It is famous for using of natural ingredients, with no chemical preservatives, artificial sweeteners or stabilizers. 


The line moves fast so don't be afraid

You may have a hard time choosing which flavor to order

Location Map

3. Confit de canard, pommes persillees (Confit of duck, potatoes with chopped parsley and garlic) at Bistro Dupleix:


This is what I ate after spending quite some time lining up to go to the top of the Eiffel and watching the Eiffel Nightly Illumination (where the Eiffel literally sparkles) for several times. I don't know if I was just hungry but it tasted so good for me. 

To go there, just alight at the Dupleix train station and I'm sure you would see Hotel de Petit Louvre which houses Bistro Dupleix. If you still have a problem finding it, its exact address is 62 boulevard de Grenelle 75015 Paris and its Tel. no. is 01 45 77 24 96. 


Costs EUR13.50 (Php850).. remember it's a duck (not a chicken) so even a drumstick is big enough

Look for this after alighting at the Dupleix Station

4. Steak Tartare (meat dish made from finely chopped or minced raw beef) at Ma Bourgogne:


This is my first and only Steak Tartare experience so I can't say how it fares with other restaurants that serve Steak Tartare. Nonetheless, I did like how it tasted. Unfortunately, I have to warn you because THE WAITERS ARE RUDE AND SNOOTY.

If you're up for the challenge, it's not very hard to find as it is just around the Place des Vosges area. You may contact them at 01 42 78 44 64.


This meal costs EUR24+/- (Php1,500) if I remember correctly
 



5. Escargots


Escargot is a popular local food in Paris. Had my first experience in George V Cafe along Champs Elysees. Sit outside, like what I did, if you want to observe and feel the Champs Elysees vibe/spirit... this will mean that your food will cost more compared to eating inside. 


Costs EUR11 (Php693) for 6 snails 
(what can you expect... its not an outdoor cafe along the famous Champs Elysees for nothing)


6. French Onion Soup:


Of course, you'd want to say you had French Onion Soup in France... and I did! This was my first taste (literally) of Paris. Had mine in Creperie Cluny Cafe which I will describe in more detail below. 


Cost: EUR8 (Php504)

7. Creperie Cluny Cafe: 

This is a cafe that's relatively near famous spots such as Sainte-Chapelle and Conciergerie. Aside from the cafe's good food and cramped yet nice ambiance, walking around its environs is already a treat.

Galette California for EUR8.50 (Php536)

Galette Basquaise EUR8.30 (Php523) - Chicken, ratatouille, gratinated cheese ,egg

Location Map


8. Cheese aka Fromage: 


I didn't really get to have a cheese adventure in Paris but I suggest you do. This is a shot I took somewhere in Ile St. Louis or Ile de la Cite... such variety of cheeses!




Yes, there's lots of food to try in Paris. Don't control yourself, you'll burn the calories with all the walking you'll do anyway. 


5 comments:

  1. hi blued

    you had an amazing trip in france. how did you manage to know all these things? i only went to those places that are for tourists.

    thanks for sharing. i hope to go back and reseach more so that my trip will be worth it like yours=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Che, you're welcome.

    How did I manage? I woke up as early as I could then walked the entire day until around midnight hahaha! I overdid it that I had to buy a muscle pain cream in Paris. I was worried because my leg ached so much, Paris was my first stop, and I had 13 more stops to go. This was all within 23 days.

    Drop by again some time in the future as I have yet to post my Versaillees sidetrip from Paris entry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I thought the question was how did I manage to visit all those places. I knew all those things through months of research. Europe was a MAJOR expense and a continent that I've always wanted to visit so I wanted to make the most out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. appreciate your post, really helped me plan my own trip to Paris, will be leaving 15 Sep. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous, you're welcome! enjoy your trip! would like to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete