05 May 2012

Rome's Best in One Day (excluding Vatican)

Related posts:
- What to Eat in Florence (plus some sights to see) -


I wasn't really excited to go to Rome because I'm more fond of modern architecture than old architecture. Nevertheless, I could still say that I liked Rome (although it's not on the top-end of my list of favorites). As most people who has gone there would describe it, the city is one big museum. There's always an ancient structure to look at wherever you go. PLUS, the food is really good... it's in Italy anyway. Without further a do, I'd like to share some of the sights I saw and enjoyed in Rome:


Castel Sant'Angelo - When I saw this structure in the movie, Angels & Demons, I promised myself I have to see this when I go to Europe... and I did... and it didn't fail me - it was truly a sight to see!





Fontana de Trevi - It can get crowded here but it's surely worth the effort. It will be good to see this at night because of its lights (unfortunately I didn't have this chance). Just beware because it is said to have loads of pickpockets (even children).





National Monument of Victor Emmanuel - For some reason, I really liked this structure although it was just all white. Some people describe it as a "Wedding Cake" haha!



Spanish Steps - For me, Spanish Steps was nothing great although some say that the view from the top is exhilarating (I think I wasn't aware of this before I went). For shoppers, take note that this faces Via Condotti which houses lots of international fashion labels.




Street (Via Condotti) in Front of Spanish Steps


Pantheon - The Pantheon is said to be one of the most preserved Roman buildings. For me, it's highlight is its dome which is pierced by an oculus that lets sunlight streams inside.  


 

Piazza dela Rotonda in front of the Pantheon

Piazza Navona - A must-see Piazza because it houses several famous fountains. There are also lots of cafes nearby (I tried Osteria del Gallo which was a bit tricky to find).


Benini's Fountain of Four Rivers (under construction when I went)

Fontana del Moro





Colosseum - It was already a bit late when I got into the Colosseum so it wasn't crowded anymore. Plus, I got in for FREE because Rome was celebrating Culture Week. 













Arch of Titus - Constructed to commemorate Titus' victories such as the Siege of Jerusalem, this Arch served as the inspiration for many triumphal arches including Arc de Triomphe in Paris. 




Roman Forum - A wide playground of ruins, the Roman Forum is sure to give you a good idea and feel of how Ancient Rome looks like.






 


I'd love to go back to Rome since I only spent 1.5 day roaming around this museum city, and half a day was already eaten up by the Vatican (so technically, I think I can say that I only spent one full day roaming around Rome itself). Although it appears that I was able to see a lot, there were still lots of sights that I missed and I'd really want to have a second chance at Rome. Hopefully, the magic of throwing a coin to Fontana de Trevi comes true for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment