22 April 2011

What to Eat in Florence (plus some sights to see)

Related posts:



Gluttony is the one word that can describe what I did in Florence. I ate at least 6 scoops of gelato (I think I ate more in Rome) plus a generous serving of panna cotta with hot chocolate in one day. I think most of my time was spent on finding highly-recommended restaurants instead of sightseeing. I guess that's an excuse to go back.


Warning: I don't intend to be an expert in Florence as I only spent one night in the city. I just want to share what I did and what food spots I discovered.


Best Panna Cotta in the World (possibly Best Dessert in the World also): Trattoria Nella's Panna Cotta con Cioccolato


Please try to find this Trattoria if you get the chance to go to Florence.  Don't be frustrated with the way it looks, this Panna Cotta con Cioccolato is nothing short of "to-die-for"!


More of Trattoria Nella


Penne Nella (Pennette con erbe aromatiche e pomodorini, or in other words, Short pasta with aromatic herbs, fresh tomatoes and a little cream) 




Via delle Terme 19/r Firenze; Tel no.: 055 218 925
www.trattorianella.com 


Best Value Meal in Europe (if not the world): Il Fratellini


This has got to be the the best tasting and worth it value meal in the world. Imagine getting a EUR2.50 (Php150) gourmet sandwich with wine... that's cheap especially for European standards. And it's not only cheap, it's so gourmet, fancy and tasty that you would understand why people don't mind standing on the streets while eating and drinking wine and why it is still running since 1875. Don't ever leave Florence without trying this. 

 



I ordered Proscuitto Crudo, Caprino, Rucola [in other words: Ham, Soft Goat Cheese, Arugula (Rocket)]. I don't know why it has the word rocket in it but it did rock my world. 
 

How to Go? It's very near Piazza della Signoria. You should be able to see it on the corners of Via dei Cimatori and Via dei Calzaiuoli
 


Best Gelato: Caffe delle Carrozze

This is considered the longtime local favorite. I must say that among all the gelatos I've tried, this has got to be the best! I ordered Pistachio and Chocolate (if I'm not mistaken).


("daily 11:00-20:00, until 1:00 in the morning in summer, on riverfront 30 yards from Ponte Vecchio toward the Uffizi at Piazza del Pesce 3" - Rick Steves)



Gelato, gelato, and more gelato


Ok, aside from Caffe delle Carrozze's gelato, I tried several stores all in one day. Here they are:


Perche no!'s Mango and Limone
  


Festival del Gelato's Yogurt and Limone

  


Pizza - Sorry I didn't get to taste one in Florence but I took a photo from a store 

Pasta and Rissoto - Two of the shots below shows how much variety of pastas there are. I wanted to try authentic Italian Risotto but I didn't get the chance to try one in an authentic restaurant so I just tried one in highway stopover.




Duomo - Florence's iconic architecture
  
 

 

Notice how elaborate the details are
 


I always take photos of couples having wedding shots when I travel
 

Duomo's interior
 

Palazzo Vecchio - The Palazzo Vecchio is the town hall of Florence, Italy. This massive, Tuscan Gothic, crenellated fortress-palace is among the most impressive town halls of Tuscany. Overlooking the Piazza della Signoria.


Piazza della Signoria




Ponte Vecchio 

Santa Croce Church
 

Streetshots and more
  




That was all in a day... definitely worth coming back!- Why My Jaw Dropped in the Vatican -

2 comments:

  1. Wow, nakakagutom naman tingnan yung Panna Cotta at Gelato. Thanks for sharing this! Pangarap ko din makakain ng authentic Italian food someday. hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, your welcome! I do hope you get the chance to eat authentic Italian food someday!

    ReplyDelete